Vikram Sarabhai was visionary, physicist who proposed space research and helped advance nuclear power in India.
* He was a great institution builder.
* He was respected with Padma Bhushan in 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1972.
* He is internationally hypothesized as the Father of the Indian Space Program.
* The Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) founded at his residence, the “RETREAT”, in 1947. PRL had a modest beginning with investigation on cosmic rays.
* Also He was Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission.
* He along with separate Ahmedabad-based capitalists played a crucial role in the origination of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
Some of the most prominent institutions acknowledged by Dr. Sarabhai are:
- Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
- Community Science Centre, Ahmedabad
- Darpan Academy for Performing Arts, Ahmedabad (along with his wife)
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
- Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad came into existence after merging six institutions/centers established by him.
- Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR), Kalpakkam
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Project, Calcutta
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad
- The Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL), Jaduguda, Bihar
- Most prestigious ISRO and other were also founded by him.